Sunday, January 29, 2012

January

                              Nature Series                                          Harvest Blessing                                    c-2007



January

Got up early to plod through some more code stuff and head out to the storage unit we have outside of hill country. It was a triple good thing because Edy also needed some stuff from there and I resolved to reward myself for the drive with some BBQ.   I’ve lived in many parts of this country and every one of them claims to have the BEST BBQ, except for New Orleans; they just fall back on their roots and assume everyone already knows “the facts”. Texas is very proud of their version and I have to admit it’s pretty good.
Skies were clear, air pretty cool and traffic light as my master plan of traveling while everyone was at church was coming together perfectly. One of the first things I noticed as I got outside the outer loop was GREEN ! Wow, it’s been a long darned time since I’ve seen that color on this stretch, nice!  Hawks were perched every five miles warming up and scanning for breakfast and buzzards were grabbing some thermals as the morning air warmed up……….also scanning.  Cattle ponds had water albeit low, and the pastures had cattle which was not the case when all the ranchers scrambled to DIE-vest during the height of the draught.
At about the 2/3 marker I saw that my favorite BBQ place was open and already doing a brisk morning business with non-church goers and other travelers. Hooray !!! BBQ tonight, baby !....and I began to develop a menu. OK, Smoked Turkey Leg, Wild Rice and Steamed Veggies – YES !!........yum !
Traffic started to pick up a bit as I entered the cow-town where our remaining stuff is stored. “Man, I gotta pitch the rest of that stuff” I thought to myself as I was reminded of having to do this commute daily…….”Thank goodness, we don’t have to do that anymore, hey boys?” as I sought consensus from all parts of me that have voting privileges. “We” all agreed and were ready to do what we had to do to turn around and get the BBQ and get home ASAP. The car was ready for an inhale too.
I was able to locate all the things I needed and also took a bunch of other stuff that I was going to use to get a head start on “the future pitching”. My goodness we still have a lot of stuff I said again as I closed the overhead door.
The car was anxious to get home but I held her to the speed limit. The exit for the BBQ place was on the horizon and my stomach gave a little growl to let me know I was making the right decision. I pulled in to the parking lot and saw that the place was full of speed boats, bass boats and camo-trucks. Yep, BBQ To-Go……….ME. TOO !!!
I stood in line savoring the smells and admiring just how much camo one person could get on his person….dang, Impressive !  Hat, shades, tshirt, hoodie, belt, cellphone pouch, leatherman WITH camo-flashlight, pants and boots……….”I’ll bet he gets drawers and socks from his family for Xmas too”…..I thought as I moved closer to the friendly looking order taker and took the smells of the place in a bit deeper.   Finally, it was my turn to order and I said “TWO smoked Turkey Legs, please”.    She looked me straight in the eye and said ………..“We ain’t got none.”…………………….”NEXT !!!”………….
I did not say a word. I turned on my heel and headed out the door. As I sat in the car, the “boys” and I decided we weren’t that hungry after all and we should just get back home before the Do it yourselfers get motivated and jamb up the roads…….  
“January”, I thought as I entered beltway traffic, “January”………

No comments:

Post a Comment