Monday, January 2, 2012

Savasana

                       Enlightenment Series                                                    Grounding                                     c-2007

Savasana

“Holy smokes it’s hot in here”, I said for the 10th time in 5 minutes. Really HOT !!
And that was the good news. The bad news was that we were only 25 minutes into a 90 minute class of Bikranm Yoga.  The room is 104F and packed to the gills with folks all sweaty and twisted around like pretzels. 2 sets of 26 poses. "Lord, help me".

Edy 1st mentioned yoga to me when we were in France many years ago.  She and our buddy Dr. B were deciding just how to modify, repair and in some way re-mold what stood before them because, for whatever reason they saw a few rough edges and areas that could “use some work”. I was quite certain they were mistaken and chuckled under my breath at their naiveté in kicking the tires of a “catch” such as myself, “Mr. Wonderful”.  In fact She and  Dr. B even went so far as to make some kind of  grandiose statement about  how the Universe will keep putting a lesson in front of you time after time until you “get it”. I smiled politely because they were kind souls and I did not want to be rude ………….AND I had no clue what the heck they were talking about and definitely did not “get it” …. “What ME need more lessons !!”………….”Phuuueee, you obviously don’t know who I am !!”…..I thought behind my mask of worldliness…………..but, at the same time there was this tiny little voice, really small and soft that spoke to me while she was talking that was saying “LISTEN” and “LISTEN CLOSELY TO THIS –YOU’LL NEED IT”…………….fade to black…………..

Fast forward the life-tape about a decade and I see now that Edy and Dr. B were spot on on all fronts. Stuff comes up lessons were ignored, stuff comes up LOUDER and lessons are ignored, stuff comes up SCREAMING and lessons are ignored, Stuff comes up – Things BLOW UP and you know what , Hey Now I’m attentive.  I suppose even Mr. Wonderful could use a few new tricks, starting with humility (which BTW was the flavor of the month for many years). And how about the new trick of yoga practice that I'd scoffed about all these years.......ugh, "ok", no need for SCREAMING !!.

So, Today I went through all the poses to the best of my ability. Some I surprised myself on how well I could do, others I thought ………“Are YOU Kidding ME !!!”……………..”SHHHhhhhhh…!!.”NO TALKING !!”…..I guess I should clarify by saying “I thought, I though”….I actually said it out loud, “sorry”. I stretched and contorted as well as a 54 year old 6-1 / 250lb guy could do on his 1st day. At the end of 90 minutes no EMT’s were called and I didn’t fall on anyone, so it was a success and I am excited to continue the next 9 sessions we have signed up for. After that we’ll see where we go from there.  Oh, and "no", I didn't cry..............felt like it when I was on my stomach with my arms back to my ankles trying to look like a canoe, but stayed strong.

As I sat on the bench outside in my soaking wet clothes after the class I was reminded of other 1st practices and 1st trainings and how it all only got better as the trainings continued. I then though about Edy and how this was something we’ve talked about for a very long time and finally stopped talking and did it (thanks solely to her). I am very proud for both of us to continue to create these “High 5” moments for ourselves and enjoy each moment together as deeply as possible before we lay down for the final Savasana.  

No comments:

Post a Comment