Friday, January 27, 2012

Priceless

Rusty Philosophy Series                                          Priceless                                                                    c-2011


Priceless

I wrestled with my bid on the previously mentioned proposal all day yesterday and felt like crap all evening too; yoga was painful. I had a chat with Edy who essentially said again that no one can be low-balled on a project they want and it was pure ego making my moves for me up until that point. We also agreed that what was really bugging me was that I had lost sight of what was really important for the sake of some old fictional ego place I had invented. (I am so blessed to have picked the most wonderful woman EVER to “dink” me back into reality, when it’s required!)

Well, I am not the brightest light bulb on the string (but would argue that point to the death in another life……………like yesterday, as a matter of fact) but I definitely “got” what was being said and what I was feeling in my gut. I immediately went into back-track mode. “Oh, Lord , I hope I’m not too late”, I spoke out loud.

I called up my buddy who referred me and said that I wanted to apologize for waiting until the last minute to realize that I really wanted to work with him on their project and will reduce my fees to whatever it takes to make that happen. I also said just what I said yesterday about struggling with my ego and perceived “value” and if it’s not too late I’d like to ask with all humility if I could re-bid. He said he would call in the morning. I already felt better and just “let it go” for the rest of the night.

I got a call this morning from his “significant other” who is actually the “client” for the project and we beat around the bush a bit about “worth” and “high end” and I just said to her “Thank you but, here’s the deal, I feel that your project was offered to me as a test. A test that up until this call, I failed. I feel that I did a dis-service to my friend who referred me, to you and to the “yes current” that runs through life to support people doing their highest best.” I then went on to reiterate what I had told her partner and added  “I would like the opportunity to produce your project for you because I know I can do a good job, WANT to work with you and feel more than anything it is way beyond a “money thing, it’s about doing the right thing for the right reasons.”   “Am I too late?”…I asked, two octaves higher than normal.

”No”, she said, “Please come over”.

I just returned from our first site meeting. We were all a bit subdued in our interactions but at the same time excited about what just transpired and what will still unfold. Their young children were VERY excited and worked hard to be part of every plan exchange, measurement and conversation.  It was beyond beautiful.............it was priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment