Thursday, February 2, 2012

February the Tooth

Frozen Whispers Series                                                                         Hokey Pokey #3                              c-2011



February the Tooth
I have not written the blog for a few days for a variety of reasons. I got busy doing stuff on Sun/Mon, cleaning the house and working on a project. Tuesday I got really crazy and went to yoga at 10am so I could get Edy at the airport after her two weeks away. Man I missed her !

The first thing I noticed on Tuesday morning was the yoga studio was less crowded. I checked in and explained my reason for the early session when they all asked.   Hooraay Edy is coming home !!  I signed in as usual, set up my mat where I like it and went outside to sit on the bench and watch the birds for a bit until it was time for class.

There is a female cardinal that spends her whole day fighting her reflection in the window of a building across the street. I see her at 4pm and can see now that she gets an early start.......bang into the window, turn around back into the tree, bang into the window, back into the tree…...........For whatever reason I did not find her behaviour that disturbing.

Yoga was SO HOT that morning. They say “some like it hot” but we have one teacher in particular who hails from Hades and likes it just like home; he just about killed the room of us. Halfway through the power went out so we had 130degrees of hot just staying still.....and I was certain I was not going to make it to the end. It was brutal. Hooray for me though, #30 of 60 classes complete.

I drove home in a heatstroke induced fog to shower shave and give the house one more sweep to be sure everything was in place for Edy’s welcome home. Flowers, magazines, chocolates and a special dinner were all prep’d for her arrival and I headed out the door feeling pretty good. It was rainy as I got on the freeway and I was glad I allotted extra time. Parking was full so I had to go to the roof. Fortunately, I found a spot not too far from the elevators so we would not get too wet.

The place was jambed full of folks heading out of town. Sheep lanes of commuters were all doing their best to keep the line moving in an orderly fashion. I took my usual spot at the do not pass this point or die sign, where arriving passengers slide back into the reality of their lives once they “cross the line” and waited.

From my vantage point I could watch TSA play their power games with each other and citizenry while sliding in an occasional txt or glance at a pretty commuter when higher ranking ones were distracted. Signs for H2N2 virus were everywhere. “Lordy, hope I don't get that crud” I thought as I made sure for the twentieth time not to breathe too deeply or touch anything.

Edy rounded the bend on cue and we had a nice embrace. I was so happy to see her and was very excited to get the heck out of there and get her home, pronto. Edy had lots to talk about, and we conversed to the luggage carousel, at the carousel, to the elevators, up the elevators and all the way home. It occurred to me that it had been two weeks since I had spoken more than a few words to anyone.

We made it home just fine and Edy loved the goodies and dinner. I was glad to have her home and also glad my efforts were noticed. Edy had a conference call afterward and I went into the office to crank out a plan. While drawing, I noticed that my throat was hurting like crazy. Hum,H2N2? Perhaps it was mangos near the pears I bought at whole foods? (allergic to mangos) Conspiracy theories were rampant. I finally chalked it up to way too hot yoga and sheep line of people spreading their nasty stuff...... (although conspiracy theories continued.)

Slept horribly and awoke yesterday feeling worse. After running errands w Edy, took a four hour nap. Missed yoga, first in 30 and will probably miss tonight too. Perhaps Edy is right, maybe I've been pushing too hard……………………….(or it could be H2N2)…???

So right now , I'm sitting outside a hair salon waiting for Edy to come out. It's been almost three hours and I sure hope the guy did a good job. I checked on them earlier and it seemed that there was dialog happening between foil sheets and brushed on product. No tears were evident and I took this as a positive sign. Hair folks hold a lot of power in women's lives. They have a captive audience for hours on end and given the nuances of what makes or breaks a good hair experience hold a woman hostage from then until the next appointment, when ever that might or might not be. We've gone through many. Some good, some horrible. When we were in Taos, we would drive a day to CO for a woman who did a really good job....then she became a mom and priorities shifted. Can't blame her. Fortunately, we soon moved.  Edy has had some not so great experiences here with hair folks. We interviewed this latest guy yesterday, got an ok vibe and signed up for today's trial run..................fingers crossed.

I was able to make calls and write this while also doing some detailing on a project while waiting. Since I chose to sit outside I have the best view in the house of the clientele. This is obviously a “well established” enterprise. I feel pretty certain that the average age of the clientele is 87 and that is only because Edy knocked down the average today by a few decades. What used to be groovy blue hair has been replaced by a kind of purple,rust,orange combo and the ever present blond, platinum blonde. I notice that older ladies don’t use highlights. Their hair is kind of a mono-a-mono. Where they do shine is the eye shadow and the generous/creative widths of the reddish lipstick they are so fond of.

I was kind of engrossed in a sketch I was working on when I heard a commotion at the door next to me. I looked up and saw two ladies with identical red-ish hair and matching purple metal flake walkers trying to get in the front doors. Since the doors were egress doors, they swung out and this made it impossible for them to get their walkers and themselves through. Much like my Lady Cardinal near yoga, they would bang into the door….back off to regroup and then give her a go all over again, and again and again.

I put down my Ipad and yelled for them to “Hang on ladies , the Calvary is coming!!!” and opened the door for them both. I was impressed at all the goodies they had thought to bring with them in the little trays of their walkers, snack, books, magazines and pocketbooks. Not their 1st rodeo I’m sure. They smiled their wider than real life lipstick smiles at me as they choooo-chooo’d their way to the reception desk. “This is better than TV” I thought as I returned to my seat.

Edy knocked on the window shortly afterward and I met her inside. She looked stunning.
We exchanged wallets and cash and paid everyone off for their services.  As we headed to the car she showed me a picture and asked if the color she now has matched the photo. “Humm, no” I said.   “Next time let me explain the color to him, OK?” I requested. …………..After a bit she said “OK”…

I smiled to myself. “Yep, sweetie, Not to worry, the Calvary’s comin”……..!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment