Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Guy


New Guy
Edy and I headed off early this morning for the airport. It was cool and the sun was just starting to peek over the horizon in pinks and oranges as we weaved our way through morning traffic.  Drop-off was smooth and I was able to un-thwart exiting the toll-booths that were totally un-manned that early by having the fore-sight to actually bring my wallet and use a Card.  This day could have begun quite differently. In fact, add another mark to the un-thwart column, just because.
I had a mid-morning meeting with a colleague and while waiting for him in the lobby of our building honed my pool shark skills on the communal table. They actually need grinding to remove the dents but it was a good diversion. My buddy arrived and we had a good meeting. Current projects and those for the future were discussed and I headed back up to our place to keep mining gold.
Although we’ve been in our new city for over eighteen months, thirteen of those were spent 24/7 on an intense project and I’m just now coming up for air. I know hardly anyone here and spend my days meeting and greeting and letting folks know I exist.  Networking is critical and I am very grateful for the contacts I DO have.
Our SAFFRON Project is moving very slowly and some days makes me nuts. Let’s see, today is the 18th and for the sake of honesty let’s really say it makes me nuts everyday this year!!  2012, you rascal !!
Edy’s off to visit the Taos gang for a bit to hug kids (old/young) and hopefully ski, A LOT!!
I plan to use her time away to focus on outside projects to keep things rolling and on meeting more and more people here. It’s a bit disconcerting to be the new guy in town at my age, but it has to be done.

I’ve submitted a couple of proposals for new projects and followed up on a bunch of leads from the other (completed)  project contact list and have discovered an interesting phenomenon. Folks will return your calls a lot quicker before you give them written references than after. Human Nature I suppose, but fodder for the resentment bag at the same time. Cuidado major

Tonight will be the 1st Yoga Class without Edy. I’ve already found a dozen excuses not to go but will. Because, just like sticking my hand out and saying “Hi, I‘m David, the new guy in town”; It has to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment