Sunday, January 1, 2012

1st Impressions

                      My Back Yard Series                                      Trickster #5                                           c-2006

1st Impressions
New Years Day 2012, sunny, clear and cool, exactly the same as my attitude when I finally woke up this morning.
Last night Edy and I watched another disc of SHOGUN (3rd time) retired at 10pm and then I adjourned to the Living room a bit later to finish a book I had going so as to not disturb her sleep. I heard a few revelers in the distance as I turned through the pages but no gunshots, ambulances or crying babies. All was well as we slid into the New Year.

Edy and had a light breakfast and then walked over the movie theater for a “nooner” . That’s right, because (you remember) we can. It was a good flick although a bit dark and adhered to the book quite well. We returned home a few hours later and finally hung the monster mirror I’d been putting off for weeks. I could not have done it without her help.

For almost three decades I have a morning practice of several readings I “do” to start my day and help me center myself for what may (or may not) come my way during the day. A different version of the practice is performed at night and so continues the ritual for 2012, one day at a time.  
Today is always a bit special because during the year I keep the books stacked on top of each other with the next readings pages on top of the cover of the next and the next and so on. Today is the day they all get closed and re-opened to Page 1. That in itself is a ceremony. Today’s readings all speak of similar themes, new beginnings and casting off of old …..what-evers.

During the “Taos Years” I’d take long walks in the mountains, arroyos and sage near our home/studio. I had a lot to think about during those times and regardless of the season I’d walk, and think and think and walk for hours on end. It was not long before the coyotes in the area figured out what I was doing and would “track” be in their unique coyote fashion. They would always stay to my flank and circle in front then behind me in a figure eight. Up the trail, down the trail. Every once in a while they would send out a scout to dart in front of me to see if I’d follow. Our native neighbors called them “tricksters” and I think this was just another of their ploys .I never followed the scout but would sometimes play my own “tricks” by hiding in the Pinon down wind and wait for the rear recon team to come close. They always saw me from a distance and in my own mind I felt they were impressed with my stealth. Impressing coyotes was a highlight of those days.   

At night they would sing to each other with sadness and occasionally with glee when they caught one of the rabbits or mice they sought so fervently. We left out bird food in the winter and kept the fish pond heated so they would have an easier go of it. Lord knows we all needed an easier go of it then. Each spring I’d first see the tracks and then we’d see the pups at the pond. We’d track them to their dens in the Arroyo and sweep wide so as to not get them too concerned. Good neighbors that we were.  Our own dogs ignored them.

During my daily walks I’d see evidence of successful and not so successful hunting expeditions. Inside I’d give a cheer for the pack, Hip- Hip Hooray !!. Unfortunately each season we’d always, always, we’d see the lump of fur on the side of the road of the ones who never quite grasped the “look both ways” concept of crossing the highway; Bummer.   

This last trip to Taos we were greeted by a Bald Eagle in the canyon, Several Hawks near the kid’s house and one of my Trickster friends as I drove by our old mountain road.  Perhaps they sent him out to see if THIS Time I’d finally follow or just to show me that he looked both ways. Either way, I was impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment