Saturday, December 31, 2011

                    Lunation Series                                                              Polaris and the Medicine Wheel              c-2006

….only when I laugh….
I’m in clean out mode again.
Still too much stuff left over from past lives and the thrilling days of yester-year and it’s taking up space for my bike.

As you know, I’m a big fan of Hermann Hesse who wrote of “those ever seeking perfumes of the past.”   I got that when I read it decades ago and held on tight to all the possessions I could as long as I could, until they no longer served me. I only have a few things left from the Taos days; a few bits of art, some carpets and old 35mm cameras. All smelling not like perfume but as road kill on my path toward the future. It’s time to clean out a bit more, because I need the air and elbow room.

I keep a lot of archival photos and have been rummaging through them trying to catalog as best I can.  I ran across some of the photos of our old galleries and studio both in MA and NM felt a twinge of both pride and sadness as I saw how beautiful the spaces and items were and then remembered how they “evaporated” either via the Dumpster or via Fire Sales. I think the 80/20 rule applies quite well here with Waste Mgmnt as the “winner.”…..ouch, It still hurts a bit to remember those times!

I had a brief exchange with a gent today about one of the items I was selling and during the conversation he reminded me of the old saying about “Man Plans and God Laughs” which seems to be coming up a lot lately. I take these coincidences seriously and have been feeling into them a bit more all day.

It seems to me that the best times I have ever had came not from “planning” but from “choosing” a path when presented to me. This goes contrary to the way I was trained and have lived my life up until now with PhD’s in Strategic Planning, Master Planning and Self Improvement Planning, 5 year plans, 10 year plans, not to mention the actual planning and plans that go into a project or multiple projects…..go figure?

I used to consider myself a Comprehensive Anticipatory Design Scientist (another hat that is retired) and built a hugely successful Empire on that philosophy for a few decades. That was then.

In fact as I write, I can’t think of a single “Strategic Plan” that actually went the way it was “planned”.  Sure, GOALS were reached and OBJECTIVES were met but somewhere along the line a phone call or introduction or “chance meeting” would occur and the plan was instantly obsolete.

So, as I sit here on New Year’s Eve waiting for 2012 I am planning …………………squat.

The things we set in motion for SAFFRON many years ago are happening and happening fast despite whatever perceived set-backs we thought we were experiencing. I resolve to keep my eyes up and available for choices, as opposed to staring at plans that eventually become cosmic comic strips.  

As “They” say…………”You’re right on schedule…………..and it’s not yours” ……

Happy New Year !!

No comments:

Post a Comment