Saturday, February 25, 2012

En Passant



En Passant

I spent the morning teaching my Grandson #1 Chess. We started off slowly and it quickly became evident that he was going to take to this like everything else he tries and master it in a day. By 10am we were on the regulation board and by 10:30am Grandpa had felt the misery of defeat………ugh. Watch out world!

Grandparents have an important role in families, when allowed. I feel very fortunate to be able to be a part of the boys’ lives and this Chess playing moment has been with me since the day #1 was born.

In my enthusiasm I saturated him with way too much information on History, Masters and Technique. “Capture, Castle, En Passant  and Rescue….. He was his normal kind, gentle, loving self and let it go on ….and on ….and on…..”Are you sure you want to make that move?” ……..”Hum, have you thought about what my next move will be?” ..”Wow, I did NOT see that coming !!!......GOOD MOVE !!!”…………….and on and on………He’s six and already holding his own in this family of know it all’s and chiefs. Unfortunately we overheard later him asking his brother “if he really wanted to do that?” ………Yikes !…….So, Grandpa is going to dial it down a few notches from here on out and just take care of my own game.

After he had a chance to also work his magic on Grammy with similar results we headed out to the toy store for a promised Monster Lego Set. The one we wanted was out of stock but a suitably complex “B” unit was selected in it’s place. Hundreds and hundreds of semi-microscopic pieces are already assembled (solo) and it’s still not bedtime. I am beyond impressed, I am in awe. Patience, determination, focus…………..Watch out World !

While the Lego-pazoola was underway I took a bit of time to take a walk, think a bit and shoot some photos. As much as I try to come to terms with visits back here in Taos, memories crop up unexpectedly and offer many opportunities for reflection as well as presence-ing.

I’ve lived in dozens of different places so far. Each location offered it’s gifts in all the various forms over and over again. I know people who have lived in the same place all their lives, I am not one. I had always found some quaint sense of family and home whenever I met folks who lived like that. I have come to terms with just passing through. Be it a few years, a couple of decades or even a month and a half in one instance I am coming to terms with being a 21st Century Bedouin.   The good news is that 737’s have replaced Camels and I’m fine with that. As far as work goes I have not had to “be” anywhere for a very long time because of the internet. I think that more and more I will expand the list of places we want to visit and do just that, En Passant.

No comments:

Post a Comment