Saturday, February 4, 2012

Somebody


Somebody

I had client meetings yesterday morning and they went really well. It’s nice working with folks who know what they want and are good communicators. The couple of hours of meetings gave me the rest of the information to bring the project up to it’s final review and then were on to moving dirt.
When I returned home I had a voicemail from a company I have a long relationship with notifying me that we had won yet another award for a project we did almost a decade ago. (http://www.solatube.com/commercial/solatube-ice-awards/2011-ice-award-winners.php)   I was immediately struck with pride which was then instantly covered up with a bunch of negatives to deflect t the honor that was being bestowed.  I have a hard time taking in. Be it having loved ones “do” for me in any fashion or awards like those above I seem to find a way to say no and shut myself off from breathing in fully what is being offered…………but, I’m working on changing that.
I was raised in the south. We were taught to say yes sir, no mam, please and thank you, even when we did not meant it. We were also taught not to toot your our horn or get too big for your britches because “prideful ways” were devilish.  This was later buttressed by a mentor who refused to advertise, have a portfolio or ever succumb to kudos of any sort as they were déclassé.
Enter the 15 year old kid who wants nothing more in the world than to “be somebody”. He works harder than his contemporaries to do more and better work,  gather more credentials, more awards, more press, more money and certainly more stuff to prove that “somebody” has arrived…….. only to feel at each pinnacle that perfection was still not attained and therefore the kudo was flawed in one way or another.  (It has the makings of a good Groucho Marx joke.)
The project above has been the longest running ever installation photo in a lighting mfg. catalog (for now 22 yrs). Every year I am reminded of the client, the project, the “shoot” and the royalty check I received for allowing them to use the image. I feel the same pride in the project I received the call on yesterday. In an industry that grinds out designs like seasonal ready to wear, I am happy that some of my work has remained timeless, is recognized as such and still receives accolades.  In all honesty THIS is why I got into the business to begin with all those years ago.
Despite the time lag it's heartening to know that somebody did some really good work ! 
Who knows what else might be up that sleeve for the future ?

No comments:

Post a Comment