Saturday, December 10, 2011

Indicators

Rusty Philosophy Series                                                Indicator #3                                                           Copyright 2011

Indicators
It was a cool bike ride this morning. Although it was only in the low 50’s the wind was brisk and was glad I wore a wind breaker. I peddled over to Rice University and cruised the lanes and paths avoiding the various campus tours both formal and informal and watched the new students with parents in tow showing off their new home. I then circled the Zoo and made my way back through traffic toward the University.
I like universities and colleges. I enjoy the vibe, the energy and the architecture. It all feels so “mindful”.  When I was in New England I used to be the Liaison for a number of schools via my profession for about 20 years. Although I never “went” to college I was invited to teach a few courses at some of the most prestigious Ivy League Schools in the country. The faculty and students used to get a hoot out of the way I would impart information and how I’d arrive at solutions because I definitely did NOT do it by the book. Sometimes students would come to “interview” me for their senior projects. I’d try to explain to them what a wonderful opportunity they had in going to University and how “Studio Time” was a gift they would only realize in the future as they entered the workplace. Years later I’d get a call from a Jr. Designer in a Firm working 100 hour weeks for little money who would say “Oh, now I get it !”.  Other times I’d hear from one of my interns that a particular professor would say to his class that you can interview any professional in the industry except “that guy” because he did not go to college.  Ouch.

One of my blog buddies used the word ineffable today in his writing. I had to look it up. It’s a great word !  It used to be that I always had a thesaurus and a dictionary next to me at ALL times. Now I have Word/Google and the rest of the internet to “assist” me via my laptop. If I was comfortable that I would not break a smart phone I’d have even more access to “learning”. I read a lot and one of the greatest joys I know is gathering information and gathering and gathering information . Why ? Because I have a huge gaping void needing to be filled which tells me that all of this information is critically important for me. Again why?

While conversing with my buddy about “his word” in the context of faith and religion, I posed the question of all the centuries of prayers and pleas for salvation that lie within the walls of churches or in the rubble of sacred sites. Is it held there? Does it move through? Is it selective?  Certainly all of that “energy” does not escape into the void?....or does It ?

It occurred to me as I rode through Rice this morning that I have the same feelings from places of learning, and the same questions persist.


No comments:

Post a Comment