Friday, December 16, 2011

SO, sorry

So, sorry
It was a cloudy and cool morning as I rode toward downtown on one of my 3 favorite bike routes. All of the monster mansions had their worker bees out trimming, blowing and cutting in preparation of the holiday parties that were certainly happening this weekend. Streets were jammed and at 10am folks were already impatient as they zigged and zagged to gain an inch or two. I worked my way through them without a hitch.
I had an espresso at the national coffee house and made my way back to the house in record time. Edy arrived within minutes and we commenced to enjoy a lunch together. As mentioned, Edy spent yesterday making a number of Indian Veggie dishes and we enjoyed them again today. The roasted beets in olive oil and herbs were so good you could “rub them in your hair”, as my Cajun friends say. The other dishes were equally as good. Man, I love good food !

A few years ago I did a few projects in and around Mexico City. The air almost killed me but the food was always outstanding. I don’t drink, smoke or eat red meat so “kicks keep getting harder to find” for the past 30+ years.  When I told this to my new friends in Mexico they all looked at me as if I only had a week to live. We’re so sorry for you senior’, SO sorry. That was before they saw my face when the broiled fish arrived at the table. Ahhh…..simple pleasures, with bones.

When traveling I remember landscapes, structures, flora, fauna, colors and smells and always, ALWAYS the food.  Sometimes when I have a hard time sleeping I drift in and out of food dreams , listing all the memorable meals and dishes just like a cartoon character marooned on a desert island.  Baked octopus in Portugal, Dancing Prawns in Tokyo, Huitlacoche in Mexico and one of my favorites Nicoise Salad IN Nice with Edy…………….and the list goes on.

I was born in Kansas to folks who simply ate to survive. Little pleasure was derived from preparation or consuming. It was just another “meal”. As I was introduced to the “world” of food and ways of cooking growing up and in my travels I began to develop an “insatiable appetite” (pun intended) to know more and more about different cultures, their foods and customs. Believe me when I tell you that the first time I had black truffles blew my mind and it’s been a palette quest ever sense.

Edy and I play the “whats for dinner” game quite a bit and I’m glad we’re doing more cooking at home. The atmosphere is pleasant, music is nice and it gives me a chance to fully enjoy the one pleasure on earth I love more than the meal. Her.

No comments:

Post a Comment