Friday, November 4, 2011

Waypoints

Waypoints

We have a GPS in our car we call “Mandy” because that was the name of the voice I selected when I was setting her up.  It was a gift from our grown children (H/F) and we always think of them when we drive as they no longer live near us. We use her a LOT.  “Turn Left in 200 yards”…………..”Turn around NOW!!!”  Mandy is also a bit dramatic, we relate.   As we cruise along Mandy will blurt out various waypoints, some feel important others don’t feel important at all. …………..”Turn around NOW!!!” 

When I learned to sail, I was taught to navigate via “dead reckoning”. You already had a starting point (where you were) and you’d select a destination and then “chart your course”. Wind, Tide, Hull Speed…etc..would have to be computed (with pencil and paper) and then the “legs” of the journey would be computed to determine the “waypoints” of tack / jibe to get you where you wanted to go and eventually end up.  The “going” was critical to the arrival at each waypoint and the “marking off” was always a cause for celebration equal to the final destination.   

Birthdays, Anniversaries, Holidays all seem to be “Turn Right Now” kinds of waypoints that set a point in time for celebration, reflection and “marks” on the chart. Other waypoints may be more private but hold even more meaning to the navigator. These are also cause for celebration, reflection and “marks” but in a more intimate and fragile way.

Today is one of those days for me. It’s actually a BIG waypoint that I choose to share with those I love and those who have helped me get here. I am grateful I made it this far and am preparing to tack for the next leg of my journey.   
Mandy is silent.


No comments:

Post a Comment