Saturday, November 12, 2011

CHILL


CHILL

I spent the early morning out in my bike running errands and came home to plan out the rest of the day, since I had goofed off yesterday. A front blew in on my way back, so the sunny day I enjoyed in the early AM changed to drizzle and overcast pretty quickly. Though my plans for the day were undefined, I felt them unraveling.

Edy and I are both Virgos – Our B-days are 1 year and 1 day apart.
Truth is, we’re something like quadruple or quintuple Virgos based on our astrological charts. We’re the 1st on the scene for any kind of inefficiency and can smell something in need of a fix from miles away.  We love analysis, details, tidiness (her more than me) and enjoy the ability to solve complex problems. (x4 or x5 as the case may be) This is all good for “tasks and plans” and problems that need to be solved but a real challenge if all one wants to do is CHILL.

I’ve been doing the same job since I was 15 years old.
Like most entrepreneurs, I found it necessary to devote all of my energy to “growing” my businesses. When work dried up in one location I’d sniff out new prospects in other places.  I traveled for decades around the country and world for projects. I then commuted every Saturday for years between offices in New England and New Mexico to” keep the plates spinning”.  I used to joke that my home was “Delta - Seat 5A”. Some mornings,  I’d wake up and have to look at the ceilings to remember where the heck I was.  Vigas = NM – Plaster =  MA.    When we arrived in Texas for our latest project I commuted almost 1000 miles a week for a bit over a year and was on call on weekends.

There has always been a something that needed to be done………………someplace.

So, try as I might to figure out what I wanted to do for the day, I was stumped.  I reviewed my list of things to accomplish this week and found that all the items had been checked off previously, except for the ironing of a few new dress shirts. I plugged in the iron, filled the water sprayer and ironed with military precision. The creases on the sleeves were like sword blades, cuffs like cannon barrels and the collars stood at attention.  Success !!

I then took a nap.  I’ve earned it.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, learning to chill is hard but useful. Life passes you by if you don't. There is much to pay attention to even in those chill moments. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete