Monday, November 14, 2011

USE BY:


USE BY:
I got my ride in early today and returned home to keep working on our latest project, it’s intense.
One of the many gifts of Taos was finally figuring out that I no longer needed a downtown office.  Until then, my entire career has been based out of Main Street addresses.  I had a mentor who lived by several business beliefs, one being a Main Street Location. (He had many others that perhaps I’ll get to later.) I bought into that thinking and held on tight for decades.  I’m not talking golf club tight, I’m talking hanging off a cliff on a rope tight.  
Even with all the time I was away from the actual office(s), I could never envision NOT having one or two addresses going at the same time, including staff. Forget about the expenses associated with multiple EVERYTHING and the loss of productivity while going to and fro for decades. The real “clincher” for me was realizing that I had not had a client visit me in any of my fancy schmancy offices for years. I always went to them. Why ??? Because there was no business where my offices were located!!!
Seriously!!

Despite the knowledge that there was no regional business and the fact that I need to fly all over the world to “find business” I was stuck with the original business model that compelled me to think I had to have a downtown address and all that goes with it.  It was an outdated belief, one of many expired ones that have come up for review lately.

So, kicking and screaming I moved into the Studio in our home. The 1st thing that happened was that our grandchildren immediately took desk space. One of the 1st places they would visit when they came over“Grandpa, don’t touch my project”. ….….”Where is that Cool Green Pencil?”...... ..”Grandpa, when are we going to look at pictures?” We had such a blast !

I have a number of friends/colleagues in various industries that are just now discovering the benefits of working in a Cloud. They too had their struggles with the concept and questioned their own outdated beliefs to finally embrace the concept. ( I’ll tell you right now working in a cloud is a heck of a lot better and living in one.)

As far as offices go, I have never looked back.
Even when this new venture gets off the ground and needs a Sales Office, I’m staying right here.
You never can tell when someone might need a Cool Green Pencil.  




No comments:

Post a Comment