Friday, November 18, 2011

The F Word

The F Word
It was a cool morning, 46 by the online thermometer. So, I stayed in and worked revising some bid documents to keep trying to bring the budget numbers in lower and lower on a current project.
Edy and I had a short Facebook chat session in an attempt to connect. Being apart is hard. Being apart when one of us has a broken phone is harder. We’re creative and have found other means of communication. Electrons are not always required.

I wanted to head out to one of the stores today to get some items for her that she had been admiring in various magazines. I love looking at the ads with her and seeing the latest in jewelry, clothes and shoes as we turn page after page. "YES, THAT would be great!!"", No I don’t think so , Humm ???"", I’d have to see it on you".......  
Not too many men like shopping with their wives, but I absolutely LOVE IT !!  
It is my hobby, dressing Edy.

I also like the see how the photographers showcase not only the wares but the wear-ers.
I’ll first scrutinize the lighting. Humm….???.....OK , 3:1 Kodak Standard,INTERESTING !!!,
4:1 Rembrandt with a “kicker” ,Clever.  Ahhh, Full daylight with 5:30 offline fill,  Ugh, How Pedestrian…blah ! .”Derivative, all derivative!!!”……….”Humm” (again), “nice job!!”

I then look at the Models themselves,  Ah, “pretty”.  Wow, “very nice” – Yikes, “one season left, I hope you have an annuity or a Masters degree in your back pocket”.

Then on to the “goodies” they are advertising – “Yep, they don’t tailor like that anymore” , “That color AGAIN ???, it was horrible in 1952 !!”, “Humm, VERY clever use of materials” , “Yes, that is a winner”….and on and on…. I love line, form, texture, color and pattern. I am and crazy about nuance and whacko over subtlety. I’ve always known it for myself and for my projects but never really knew how much I enjoyed this new “hobby” until Edy.

We then will head out at the most random times to “practice”.
It’s a lot of work for her to try things on …and on…to show and spin, and show and spin ,but I am glad she indulges me as I admire HER in every item. "Beautiful", I say "and the Dress is nice too"....."Wow, Edy - You look STUNNING !!!"   Eventually we will settle on……less than I feel we should be getting and more than she wants. Yin-Yang. I am a horribly impatient shopper for myself and for clients, but for my “hobby”, there seem not to be enough store hours in a day..........or a lifetime.

Earlier in the year, I had a chance to “practice my hobby” with our older daughter too. She was hesitant at first, but then got into it more and more as our evening continued.  She’s a fast learner. We had a really good time and she looked lovely in her new ensambles.  I think Grandson #1 also has a touch of the “hobby” in his veins; we’ll just have to let it evolve and see if he too, is a fan of “Fashion”.

No comments:

Post a Comment