Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sense of Urgency

Sense of Urgency
Today Edy and I took a very long walk in the brisk (for our area) air this morning.
We reminisced about autumns long past and many of the traditions we both enjoyed during our other lives in New England. By the end of the walk we had already played our “what’s for dinner” game and committed to go and get some spaghetti squash at the market later in the day.

I then returned to my office and looked at my “to do list” and just could not get into a thing despite the sense of urgency that always hounds me when I have a “list” of things TO DO!!!  I tried all the usual tricks to no avail.

Decades of “To Do” lists ruled me and every person, place or thing around me while I was “getting stuff done” ……check, check, check………..”CRAP” !!!,  “the Day is over and I still have stuff on my list”………”better work harder, longer and with more intensity” , I would self-talk myself as I transferred the remaining items on to the next sheet for tomorrow ….lest I sleep without a “plan”.   Heaven forbid !!!  

Then one day I woke up (on several levels) and started looking at the lists a bit differently.
What feeds ME on this list? – What takes me away from those I love?  Is anything on the list REALLY that urgent?  If so, the pay-off better be HUGE !!

So, I just returned from a long bike ride and the “list” is still here.
No babies were lost, I see the sun setting right on schedule and I need to go and start dinner……which was not even on my list to begin with.   

No comments:

Post a Comment