Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pleasant Diversion

Pleasant Diversion
Nice clear mild day here in Space City today. Later than usual bike ride because of an early appointment, so I headed off to Rice for a ride/lunch. I sat with the pigeons who had commandeered all the outside tables and people watched while I dined on a Thanksgiving Special Sandwich, “humm, sure, why not?”   So, while shooing away my landlords,  I observed folks going in and out of the stores, already Holiday shopping and thought,  “yep, Houston certainly has a pulse”.  Suburbans, Hummers and Minivans all loaded to the max. Early bird gets the “bargains”, I guess. Good for them.
I headed back home and continued work on the Investment Model for our project. I had a nice “chat” with Edy and then needed to “tweak” another project we have going in Napa so final costs could be obtained. Some additional Cabinetry and Millwork Details (which I love to do) were required to wrap up the bid package…..It was a pleasant diversion.
I’ve noticed lately that the Human Interaction Game of “Ain’t it Awful” is still being played out strongly. It seems that most Social Media, Public Media and Sandwich Shop conversation is consumed with one story after another about “THE MAN, keeping a working brother down” , or the one I heard today at lunch (with the birds) “Did you hear about Jim X ? “ ,“ THEY took the Porsche” Yep, They TOOK the Porsche !!!”…cue Seinfield.   I did not ask to know any of this, but Jim’s very concerned friends continued on and on about Poor Jim until I finished my sandwich and got on my bike to go. Pigeons feasted on the crumbs ……..both Jim’s and mine.

As I rode through the various neighborhoods back home I thought of Poor Jim, who I don’t even know. Jim had a bad day. I’m sure it was not his 1st , but apparently the Porsche clinched it and made it a REALLY Bad Day. Jim, we’ve all been there and feel your pain, brother………..In our own way.

Again, I know nothing of Jim and his Porsche but I do know “The MAN” did not take Jim’s Porsche. Neither did the President or Exxon or Aquarius Rising or the Euro Crisis. Jim “donated” his Porsche because he wanted to, granted he didn’t know it,  but he did not want the Porsche …OR he’d still have it !!  Karma aside, we “donate” what we no longer “need”.  Jim will look back at this as the BEST worst day of his life someday. Why ?  Because,Jim now has an opportunity to make another move.

On the rare occasion that someone will ask my opinion on “What’s Wrong with America Today?” I reply very simply. “Chess Clubs’ Look it up!!”  Our GDP and GNP only started to slide when Chess Clubs were taken out of High School. Think about NOT TEACHING YOUR KIDS to think beyond the FIRST MOVE !!!  No wonder we are in such a mess. Everyone takes one move and STOPS. NO forward thinking, NONE…what’s next, then next then next…???. Welfare would have to GO – BS Political Lobbyists and Elected Officials – Outtahere !! – Heck with the Debates – Sit the schmucks down at the 18“ x 18”  Chess board and let the games begin !! Frankly, I’m glad to see that Jousting is having a resurgence – That would be even better. I think it’s criminal, stupid and evidence in and of itself the results of such actions to remove these clubs and the other “electives” they have nixed. (Oh, Lord stop me now because I’m ready to attack “HS Sports” and this is not the state to do that in.)   Then, I feel it’s a parents responsibility to “pick up” where the schools have failed……..You can see why I’m rarely invited to parties……………….(more than once).

Anyway, I watched a TED video early this AM about a 12 year old young man who has been inventing APPs for the Iphone/Ipad for 2 years !!!  I also watched a 60 Minutes episode about a University in Maryland that has a stellar graduation rate for Math and Sciences. I am heartened when I hear these types of stories. I am a huge believer that a human being can do ANYTHING in this Country at this time and place. Sure there is a lot of uncertainty OUT there. That IS a fact. The key is to turn off the TV,  STOP playing the “Human Interaction Game” and learn to “Castle”.  It’s a pleasant diversion.     

No comments:

Post a Comment