Thursday, August 16, 2012

Wa


Wa

Sleep does not come too easily these days. It’s only been a couple of weeks since I left Edy in Taos to head back here but it seems like eons, particularly in the wee hours. Despite having a couple of good books going (one of which I am really liking) and access to a ga-zillion channels available on cable I find it hard to get to sleep and harder to stay there when Edy is not here. In fact one of the 1st things I noticed when we got together all those years ago was that I slept through the night(s)….I never slept through the nights in all my life and I took note of that fact then and there!...............and have been spoiled ever since.

So, I got up pretty early and drew for a while until it was time to chat via FB-txt with Edy as she woke up. I then packed up and headed off to noon yoga in the heat again. I made good time and sat on “my bench” and watched the cardinals and doves do their thing waved “hi” or should I say “Hola” to the guy who sells ice cream to the kids via his special three wheel bike contraption. I dig this guy and every time I see him feel I am in Cuidad Mexico, Monterey or Saltillio….. “rrrrrr-ring”…………..”rrrr-ing”………..even his thumb actuated bell has an accent as he draws out each ring for as long as possible.

I read his mind as he passes everyday at 11:30 as he says to himself, “pobre gringo, every day I see him and he still has no job, just sits there watching the birds’”…….  I resist the urge to tell him to hang back for 10 more minutes because then the prior class will be coming out and the little pictures of ice-cream all over his cooler-basket will be irresistible to the throngs of the hot and sweaty. But that is not my “job”.

The birds were verging on heat stroke today too and one little nut hatch went from branch to branch looking for goodies, then would sit for a bit and pant until he had enough reserves to keep it going. A very bold grackle walked right up to me and looked me in the eye as if to say “you talking to ME?” – If he was a cat he would have been a scrappy old Tom with only parts of ears.  This reminded me of my previous nights channel surfing and watching Taxi Driver again with a young Rbt DeNero doing the original version of that now classic line. Anyway, I was in my “zone”, mellow and zen like,  when out of nowhere the landscape guys materialize with weed-whackers and shoulder mounted blowers going at full blast attacking weeds, leaves and my Wa in the most violent manners possible. The birds boogied but for me, there was no escape from the assaults. I just sat and did my best to ignore them, It’s MY Wa !!

Class was almost unbearable (heat and humidity) but I survived and then peddled back home to pick up where I left off before I took off in the 1st place. Exterior Elevations, Interior Elevations, Wall sections all came together easily as I just focused and drew like crazy. I multi tasked by sending Edy some music I found on YouTube so that she and I could fuse via tunes.  By early evening I had taken the job as far as I could without client input so just closed it up and turned away from it for the night.


I mentioned the book I am really enjoying; it is The Eagles Throne by Carlos Fuentes. I love his writing and I particularly love the use of language albeit translated. So rich, so nuanced and so ……Latino.   Man those guys can write!! Gabriel Garcia Marquez is another favorite and I am looking forward to another night of page turning.

I love where we live and am very grateful . It’s quiet, tranquil and suits my Wa quotient quite well.   Yesterday was dumpster pickup day (4am) so there will be nothing to keep me from my slumber should tonight be THE night to get a full night’s sleep......
……as long as I don’t look left.    

No comments:

Post a Comment