Saturday, August 18, 2012

Hurdy Gurdy Man


Hurdy Gurdy Man

“Ok”, I said to myself as I awoke, took a deep breath and looked at my nightstand, “It’s gonna be OK”. I stood up and headed out to make coffee and slowly turned back to look again and thought, “Humm, I’m not too sure about that”.  I walked into kitchen, ground up some coffee and put the water on to boil. “Crap” I said to no one as I prepared the filter and cup in preparation of the morning’s 1st cup-o-joe.

“Moderation is the key” as I understand it, but when it comes to good books I lack discipline in any form. Last night was a perfect example, two books going at the same time, yet I had managed in my gluttony to just about finish them both and WILL finish them tonight, so that means – “bookless” again for another Sunday evening, ugh. “Cowboy up” I coached myself, “you’ll survive”.............................. “I” knew “I” was right.

I plugged away on some structural calcs over the first cup of coffee and then read the previous evenings news as I finished the second. Election years are such knee-slappers, (if they weren’t so darned sad).  I was able to get a txt through to Edy before she took off on weekend errands with the gang and I headed to yoga. It was overcast and the ride was especially good because I caught the light as I crested the overpass and made the left turn onto the feeder road at 45mph. “I need to time for this every day” I pre-minded myself as I kept my speed up all the way to the next intersection.

Class was good. We had new teacher but she kept the dialog going well so it was like……well, riding a bike !  It occurred to me while I was making another millimeter of progress on a certain pose that slow work times = extra time for yoga improvement. “Hum, all part of the ol’ Master Plan, eh ? , I can live with that”.

I met with one of the other instructors afterward and had a nice conversation about Bikram in Bogota and yoga in general before we went and looked at some repairs he was helping to fix. It only took about a minute to confirm what we needed to do and I then took off toward home. Thunderstorms were rumbling and I made it about half way before getting a very refreshing drenching, second day in a row. I took the opportunity of the rain to swing around and hit the grocery store for some lentils as I’ve been wanting some for dinner for several days now. They were on sale and I took this as JOSS that I had selected the “perfect legume” for today’s dinner.

As dinner cooked I wrapped up my structural detail sheets and listened to a full album of Donovan’s which I used to actually own “back in the day”. I like his tunes and (kinda) named our business after one of them . Youtube has turned out to be a blast lately. I listen to Firesign Theater, Monty Python and others as I fulfill my “laugh a day” quota. It might be easier if I actually interacted with other humans, but               for now this works.  I also get to listen to great classical and jazz tunes too that I only know from NPR or Saturday Operas as well as Jimi, Leon, Janis and the other I still enjoy. I’ve also experimented with listening to folks I’ve never heard of before too……………yes, I know “whack”!

Storms have kept up all day and it’s pretty noisy out there. Might have to adjourn to the “reading room” a bit early tonight and get a jump on wrapping those volumes; realizing of course that by 1am I will be twiddling my thumbs and searching for non-infomercial channels to get me through til morning.

Just another day in the life of the Hurdy Gurdy Man.  

No comments:

Post a Comment