Friday, August 3, 2012

Make My Day


Make My Day!

I read until late last night about the Roman Empire and G.J.Caesar’s rise from a less than zero to ….well, Caesar. I find this stuff fascinating. Humans throughout history continue to be so darned entertaining. I did have the Olympics on for a bit and saw Phelps win and the cute little gymnast, but Rome beckoned and I needed to single task for the rest of the night.

This morning I fixed a broken switch on the dryer because I needed an “accomplishment” and had it operational in 5 minutes. Victory! I then peddled over to yoga in the heat, met with the owner and did class with another set of victories in the form of non-modified poses. “This day is getting better already”, I thought as I sat outside downing water after class.  In that I have nothing really going on I’ve been assisting the Studio in some Energy Retrofits and other Facilities Issues. I figure, “Hey, I’m here every day and they need the help, why not”. Plus, it just plain feels good . Today we addressed access panels, pex fittings and Energy Tax Credits. The new lighting I spec’s for them saves 90% AND they get Credits back post-installation so it’s a good thing and when they heard, it made their day.

I have a contractor buddy who is building a Industrial park and looking for tenants. A woman at yoga happened to ask me if I knew anyone with warehouse space (while talking bicycles – go figure?) I put them together and made both of their days.

I started on a project yesterday that involves going through tons of files I have. Truthfully there are only three file bins left because the TONS (literally) were already dumped a few years ago. I’m cleaning out to make room for new …whatever ???….all I know is that I have not looked at one bin all year, SO, out she goes…! While digging, I ran across some really old photos from Jr  High and High School. I scanned them and sent them to the two individuals in the images and they wrote back that I made their day.

Then later this afternoon I got some disturbing news. I knew it was coming as I had actually been awaiting it since week before last. Bummer. I then went down to the office and picked up two packages. One was mailed on July 3rd and just arrived. Between that and the Bummer news, I felt certain that the Time Warps were at play again and felt grateful for both as the dichotomy of good news/bad news delayed was just too much to let slide.  The #2 package was a beautiful glossy book from a Metal Artist buddy of mine showing off some of the work we did together many moons ago. It included a beautiful shot of mine of my “Hopi Corn Portraits” I had sent him years ago. It made my day!

I read a lot of varied stuff online from professional journals and business to new means, methods, codes and products, as well as personal stuff on spiritual matters, art, photography ….etc.. I know I’m in the “flow” when the same message is being given from the most dis-similar sites. Today was the similarity of the feeling  of excitement –vs- fear and how to really know what you’re feeling (is it the pit of doom or the beginning of a great adventure?) and the other  was a quote about “increasing your success rate on anything by doubling your failure rate”.  Lord knows I’ve had a lot of successes…………and come to think of it not that many failures, BUT, when either of them happens, they have been doozies.  I think I was spoiled early on with too many successes and developed an attitude that I was always going to have successes. When failures hit (as they must) I was ill prepared to handle them in a calm and even manner. I felt if I just “raging bull” ‘d my way through them all would right itself and things would return to bliss and harmony (not that that was the reality) but it was my MO.

These days I tend to be a bit softer with the changes. I did not say I always like them in the moment and yes, I can still rage at the heavens but it’s getting more tempered.  I seek opportunity but also allow it to find me through patience and calm……………………………………(kinda)……………...

“Hey OPPORTUNITY !!!……Yea, YOU !!!……..”Come over here and MAKE MY DAY!!
(Progress, not perfection)






No comments:

Post a Comment