Friday, August 24, 2012

Simple Twist Of Fate


Simple Twist of Fate

I just about finished my next novel through the early morning hours until I could not keep my eyes open any longer (mission accomplished).  I awoke pretty early anyway and looked out to see that it was grey and rainy. “Ugh” I thought. I got up to get some coffee going and see what happened in the world while was engrossed in the life of the protagonist du’ jour and not paying any real attention. Nothing too exciting was happening in the world that early and the correspondence I was hoping for did not arrive so I slowly felt the clouds enter the apartment right over my head, just like Charlie Brown.

I had a quick FB Txt correspondence with Edy before she had to accompany the gang for the morning school drop offs. That exchange gave me a bit of a nudge in the right direction and I decide to ride the long way to yoga in the rain early to wash off the schmutz that had condensed on me over the preceding few hours.

As I left the building I turned left and went around a bunch of puddles and headed out with determination to be cleansed of this “blah”. As soon as I crossed the busier of the streets the sky cleared and the sun shone brightly on the glistening streets. “Humm?”, I said to myself, “So much for plans”.  As I rode I was surprised at the number of fallen branches and leaves on the ground as well as how fast toadstools can grow in this part of the country. “Wow, must have been some storm” I said to no one at all. I could immediately feel the steam coming off the streets and again said to no one “Ok, Steam bath it will be”.

As I rode near a shopping area I could see a couple with a young child in the distance having a huge argument near the bus stop. I mean HUGE !! At first I thought one of them was being accosted with bags of stuff flying around and arms waiving and mouths open in very red faces. As rode closer I could see that the argument was escalating as arms were flying everywhere and faces were getting redder. As I came upon them I was amazed that they both were deaf and “communicating” their argument totally with arms,legs and mouthing. NO SOUNDS were coming out at all !!!  I slowed a bit as I passed and looked at the little boy who standing near his mom with his head down. He saw me pass slowly as I approached the stoplight and I just eyed him and signaled the universal U-OK? Sign by pointing and making a circle with my thumb and finger. He nodded his head and the “parents” saw me too and started picking up their bags of stuff while the mom put her arm around the boy. “Ugh, I don’t think this is over” I thought as I waited for the “Walk,Walk,Walk” squawker to announce the all clear for the seeing impaired. At that particular moment I wish I was. DELETE DELETE DELETE……No I don’t but it was a hard one to watch.

My cloud from the morning had evaporated just like the vapor ceiling above my head as I reached yoga. Class was super hot and humid and I survived again giving thanks for a body that “keeps on ticking” and excelling in this practice day after day. I rode home feeling pretty good even as the wind shifted and offered a bit of resistance to my forward progress. I made it home quickly and immediately snagged a book to return to the library and just like a NASCAR driver pulled out of the pit stop with wheels smoking.

Traffic was heavier than usual and I was reminded that Fridays are mental half days here and folks are already on their way to the weekend. I changed course and took the residential side streets to the library and avoided any issues. The library was also very busy with kids getting out of school, older folks (like moi’) and many street folks who frequent this particular branch. I found a bag full of books quickly and used the self checkout to expedite my #2 pit stop and return to base.  As I was unlocking my bike a couple of the street folks came by and commented on my “cool bike” and then asked “if I rode a lot?” “Well, this past month I’ve only driven the car once” I said to them both. “I ride everyday about 6 or 7 miles some days more”. They both nodded that that was an acceptable ride and then chatted about some other stuff to each other that frankly did not make too much sense (to me) but they “got it” and waved goodbye as I peddled off.  

As I rode home I was reminded how easy it is to become consumed with the things we want, don’t have or think we need to survive. Way too easy ! So with each peddle stroke home I listed to the heavens all the things I am SO grateful for at THIS MOMENT……………………Healthy Kids/Grandkids , Beautiful Wife, Big Love all around, Healthy Body, All of my limbs, All of my Senses, Extra Senses,  Love, Talent, Opportunity,  Mind, Home, Bike, Yoga, Food, ……………and on and on……….I believe the saying is: “but for the grace of god, go I" which might just might also =a simple twist of fate”.

The sun felt really good on my face as I wove through traffic………..really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment