Saturday, May 19, 2012

U Talking 2 ME?



Edy and ¾ of the Taos gang arrived late last night after and extra 6 hours of mechanical delays. Wow what a long day for them !

I arrived at the airport early as usual because I have an ongoing science experiment there and with auto mobile drivers that covers many fields of interest. Lately I have been putting to good use the ol’ spot it U got-it lessons of the past as they relate to cell phones. Oh yes, I bought one to the 1st (suitcase size “mobile phone”) and later would carry one or two 24/7 because of my “importance”. Today I rarely carry it and most of the time I find it just in time to see it needs charging. Let’s just say things have changed.

As I sat on my bench in the airport watching receivers greet their arriving loved ones I noticed a disturbing trend I had witnessed previously continuing to evolve. I’d say 7 out of 10 folks arriving had a phone to their ear or were madly texting. Some went on to baggage claim but a good 35% of those with phones met their receivers and kept the conversations going. Hugging or shaking hands while still engaged in another conversation. What a bummer for the receivers. The “perps” ranged in ages from 9 to 90, most walked but many were in wheelchairs. Oh, brother what have we come to?
My somber experiment was suddenly interrupted by a screaming child yelling at the top of his lungs “DADDY !!!! – I MISSED YOU SO MUCH !!!”…………..and Dad was beaming, Mom was aglow as she handed off the 6 year old to Poppa and both of the adults did a great “sandwich hug” with young Mr. Vocal in the middle. No cell phones. “YEP, That is how you greet someone you love !” I said to myself.

Soon afterward as more of the lemmings arrived confirming previous data another family arrived in the waiting area with a “Wanted Poster” for Cheryl Duvall……….All of the Duvall’s looked alike and it was not terribly long before THE Cheryl shrieked around the corner and blended in with her family that WANTED her so badly. It was cute, Cheryl was giddy in her embarrassment. Again no cell phones.

I made one more round to the Arrival Board and saw that the plane was due in anytime and took my place at the front of the receiving line. A woman came up at once and asked me if I had seen anyone come through in a wheelchair and I said I had been here for an hour and saw probably 20. She said “No in the last 2 minutes” . “No, not yet, I said”.. just then she broke through the DO NOT ENTER – TAS line and went hollering to her white haired guest “Momma you Walked !!” and the rest of the conversation was in German………..Again beautiful to watch even though TAS had gone into “Red Alert” and were walking toward the “other perps” with Federal Warrants, fortunately Momma and Daughter both walked, and fast. No cell phones were observed.

Finally my gang came around the corner – HOOOOooooo RAYYYYYYyyyyyy !! I yelled to them as they made their way to the “OK to Cross Line” ……..”Welcome, I am so HAPPY to SEE YOU, I missed you so much !!!”……….Big hugs and kisses were exchanged and “special things” were exhibited before we had gone 100 feet because of the excitement. Both boys miraculously produced PEZ from their ears too. The day’s events were told and retold as we made it through baggage claim and out to the parking garage to get the car. Clarification and grey areas were addressed during the ride home so that we could all settle in once we got there. 3 generations of know it alls in one car, love it !

16 hours of travel is a long day for anyone, if you’re under 7 it’s a super long day. Baths and a little energy “blip” and it did not take long for the snoozing to begin. Road buzz or Airport Buzz takes a bit of time to disperse and The Tennis Channel seems just the thing to allow an easing into real relaxation. Mellow got mellow-er and we soon said out “good nights” and retired to our separate wings. It was already today by the clock.

As Edy changed into PJs in the bathroom I tucked the boys in a bit, as they sleep in our room during visits. Our bed finally felt balanced once Edy came in and the last weeks of “flying solo” officially came to an end. During the night I could hear three different breathing patterns. All soft, rhythmic and so relaxed. I then added in my own, as I knew all was well. Edy’s home, and the good times have not even started !

No comments:

Post a Comment