Sunday, May 27, 2012

It’s Big


It’s Big

We walked over to the largest church in America this morning for services. I’ve never been a big church guy but it’s an experience and a half and the messages thus far are all quite positive and uplifting. I do get a charge out of “sacred spaces” as you know and am still pondering, if a former basketball stadium turned performance space could actually be termed “sacred”? It’s an open question.

Appx 44,000 are in attendance for each service. I do not know if the TV crews are included in the count. Regardless, that is a lot of energy contained in one space. It’s more a concert with an uplifting talk than a bible banging session but I think there may be some of that going on in other room, I don’t know for sure. (I am probably just trying to find fault or have perhaps reached an “ULP” moment). As mentioned, I always feel great afterward and sure enjoy being with the gang during the “experience”. I’ve had similar good feelings in different places of worship other than Christian but have had scads of other horrible experiences in only Christian venues. So, I remain suspicious.

Today’s guest pastor spoke of the role of Science in God and vice versa. He reminded us of the “greatness and bigness” of the Universe (and therefore of GOD) and also of our “smallness” in the scheme of things. “I am with you on these observations Pastor”, I said to myself.  In the back of my mind I was thinking that those Monty Python boys had it dead-on when they sang for us to “always look on the bright side of life.” Being a big fan of Science, God and Monty Python I enjoyed the talk immensely and have been reflecting on it all day.
Science seems to be a big thing this holiday weekend. The Science Museum here had an opening for their new Paleontology wing which we attended yesterday. This town in particular owes a big debt of gratitude to prehistoric micro organisms for sacrificing themselves so that Detroit and now Tokyo, Seoul or Beijing create more gas-hog autos; in turn “fueling” the local economy……………………for now.

I’ve had ongoing fascinations with the history of space and with the history of this planet. Geology, Botany, Biology and Anthropology are all topics I pursue as much as possible. I also enjoy classical histories as told through the ages via Torah, Quran or Bible in addition to recent texts of oral traditions of aboriginal sects of humans. Then of course there are the more recent histories which are indeed repeated again and again. Humans in all their forms are still better than TV.

I remember finding fossils as a kid just south of here and later seeing dinosaur tracks in the rock bed of my neighborhood. I also recall the hours I spent on my Medicine Wheel looking at the heavens more recently. The sense of wonder and “bigness” seem to emanate from the same source. The discovery of something on the outside completed a circuit to something on the inside and soon and entire circuit board was being formed, one human at a time. Sure, some folks could give a hoot and that is why others carry a bit more than the rest. It’s not about equality it’s about maintaining the power supply.

I remember reading Stephen Hawkins “A Brief History of Time” and his conclusion that it was all indeed so big that God must exist. At the time I just coming to understand of anything bigger than me and this book in particular helped me on that path. In later years I’d be shown miracle after miracle of “bigness” as if to underline “the point”.  I incorporated my newfound philosophy and spirit into my designs in hopes that the message would be received, not realizing that I was creating yet another open question.

Our days of late have been SO full of “lessons, experiences and adventure” that we sometimes shake our heads and wonder “What’s it all about?”….I really don’t know, I just know, ………..“It’s BIG”


No comments:

Post a Comment