Saturday, May 12, 2012

Little Things of Beauty


Little Things of Beauty

Despite being totally wiped out at 8:15 last night when I left yoga, I peddled like crazy to make it home before the storms hit. I could see the flashes in the mirrors as we did our last few poses and knew they were going to be BIG.

Traffic was not too bad and I was kind of wishing that I had lights on my bike as it was getting pretty dark already as the ominous cloud bank approached from the west. I was fortunate because I rode directly into it and needed the temperature change of the cool front to keep me going. The light show was magnificent and the thunder roared in full 4D Dolby sound. I was loving it !

Fortunately, I made it the parking garage just as the rain started and viewed the light and sound show from the safety of our top floor, although I just “had” to go out on the porch to really “feel” them in all their power.  Once the hail started pelting me I thought that these were stronger storms than predicted and pulled up the weather channel app on my Ipad to see. Sure enough – Tornado warnings – YIKES !!

Having been through a few of them, one of F4 scale I knew that if it was going to hit , it was going to hit and I made dinner and turned on PBS. If glass started breaking I’d scoot over to the garage and hang there while the roof and whatever else I was not meant to “need” was transported to another home.

I love PBS.
Last night’s episode was on “Crafts in America” and featured some of my favorite artists as well as a few I need to investigate further. One of my favorite weavers was featured and I was amazed at his “process”. I had only seen the finished works and was an avid collector when he 1st started. I doubt if I could afford him now. They were some of my prized possessions; I gifted them to Edy.    My Beauty with a little thing of beauty.  

Another lady took 3-4 years per “quilt” she produced. These items were of such fine quality and held such meaningful “statements” they are sought by Museums all over the place. I was really touched by the levels of passion she and the others embodied in their beings and their works. I could “feel it” through the TV.  These folks were not working for “praise” as a buddy of mine described an Artist’s Business Mindset. They were like the Blues Brothers (and Sisters) ………………On a Mission from GOD!!

My earliest memories are of little things of beauty. Flowers, Sunsets, the quality of light over a body of water and later being able to feel the beauty within another human, defended or not.

On hot Kansas summer afternoons I would watch my Grandmother and Great Aunts paint, knit, crochet and embroidery all through the lunch hour(s) as they watched their versions of Tela-novelas. They’d “shhh” me during intense moments and deflect my questions about NAIR Commercials as best they could. My favorite sponsor was DIPITY DO, whatever that was?

 I’d finish my lunch and spend the afternoon roaming the old farm looking for my next adventure. Invariably I’d end up in the flower garden (after making sure no stray strawberries in the “other garden”) I’d marvel at the roses in particular, which were my Grandmother’s passion. I loved how the buds would form then grow until popping , then blossom and stay beautiful for so long. Time-lapse,  day by day.

 There were always Cardinals in her yard. I used to mimic their calls and one time got “caught” when I was supposed to be mowing the fields NOT talking to birds. She stood there watching for who knows how long, never said a word then or later. It was our secret.

I try to get to Yoga a bit early most days as it gives me time to sit outside and watch the doves, mocking birds and cardinals. I’ve been watching the same ones since January (like I really know they are the same ones) and enjoy their shows. When the cardinals appear I say a silent prayer for my Grandmother and thank her for introducing me to little things of beauty each summer that still keep me going strong after all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment