Thursday, May 17, 2012

Reflections on a 60 Day Challenge


Reflections on a 60 Day Challenge

I woke up earlier than usual this morning having had dreams that creeped me out.
I was able the put the morning time to good use and wrapped up my 1st round presentation package for my new software systems proposal and “put a bow on it”. I then moved on to another “idea” for a tandem undertaking and outlined that for a bit as I watched it get brighter outside, it even looked like it was getting hotter from my interior vantage point. By 11am it was time for me to get on my bike and head to my final yoga class in my “60 Day Challenge”.

Yep, it was a hot-motha out there as I peddled under one underpass and then up another ramp toward the studio. It takes 100 revolutions of my peddles to make it to the top of that ramp. I count a lot these days. I coasted down to the stoplight in the left hand turning lane and took my place at the front of the line. GO !!....I am generally around the turn and on the straightway before ANY of the cars in line get moving because people don’t drive anymore, they talk or text……………then drive.

Down the road I peddled, wind in my face and cars with drivers IN-commucato passed one after another. “That is gonna be a problem” I thought as I took a right and continued past the recycling place. Left,Right,Left,Right and I’m there. I park my bike and lock it up. Stash my stuff and sign in.

“Today’s THE Day?” the woman at the front desk asked. “Yep” this is it, “let’s get this party started”, I said as I went into the locker room to change. “Tony” of screw-driver fame was the teacher and as always he likes the heat and humidity cranked UP. 26 postures, in 90 minutes, 105 degrees – 65% humidity. They call it a “standing meditation” but truth is many of the postures are on the floor for the final 3rd of the class, all test you in one way or another.

I really am enjoying yoga.
Edy has talked to me about it for a long time but for whatever reason this year it “clicked” and we’ve been going since 01-13-12. I’ve written about missing my 1st Challenge by 5 days and this time I was determined to “do it”. 

These past weeks have been hard because Edy has been gone to visit the Taos clan and I also had to do double sessions to make up for various times I missed a class – I decided to do all 7 doubles in a row and then coast to the finish. It worked and was a great victory.

I have worked very at a lot of things and have been fortunate to win a lot of accolades for my work, studied very hard to get a bunch of letters after my name as well as licenses, certifications and such. None of those compare to this yoga challenge. Yoga is such a fascinating practice that it transcends the brain or the body and even the spirit and re-sets a new level of awareness that I can only equate to the deepest love you may have ever felt. If you’re a parent or better yet a grandparent I need not explain. If you have someone “special” in your life then you’re very close and if you are alone, you might enjoy Bikram yoga too.

I look back on my first day of class and the “Oh, my GOD – I’m gonna die” reaction to the first 10 minutes in the room,  to where I am now and am awed at what a human body can do, MY body. I then recall how much static would be in my brain as I went pose to pose. In the beginning I would count the seconds of each pose = 26 times. Done.  Earlier in the week I noticed that it is only the poses I still struggle with that are being counted out, the rest are just poses………my mind is clear and we just flow from one to the next. A millimeter at a time they are coming together, everyday is a new experience. Teachers have been great in offering tips to improve each posture.

I particularly like the classes Edy and I take together. It “feels right” that we do this practice together and I miss those days she is not in the room. Our days actually center around yoga, which in itself is pretty cool. I love that we live a very healthy life that is mindful and spirit centered. Edy “created” this for us and I am oh, so grateful for her. She is my love.

So, today as I was finishing up the final poses and breathing I tuned in really deeply to my body and took note of those areas that have literally healed themselves in a matter of less than 100 days. Amazing, no drugs or chemicals, just yoga. Sinuses, Allergies – Rotator Cuff – Loose Stuff is now Firmer Stuff – Back and Knee pain – increased flexibility and strength – Skin looks great - Achilles Tendon (almost 100%) “Dang !, It’s like I traded in my 57’ Chevy for an 87’…….whoops there were no good cars in 87’…………anyway I feel better now that I can remember.

At the end of completing the “challenge” you are given a T-shirt (photo above) and on the back it reads:
A New Body
A New Mind
A New Life

Pretty big promises.
I’m excited to take myself out for a test drive and "see what this baby can do".

No comments:

Post a Comment