Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Slippery Slopes


Slippery Slopes

Edy was able to get our wireless back up by using her Mac Time Capsule we bought over a year ago. Our Belkin Router #2 wore out just shy of it’s 1st Birthday, just like it’s cousin. They used to be a good company, now they make crap. I am so disappointed in them; in fact it bums me out that they make such garbage.

Disappointments are slippery slopes I try to avoid because once recognized the magnification begins and then snowball effect takes over and everything in my field becomes one big “bag of bum”.  Sometimes it’s a minor irritation that swells into a bum and then into a gangrenous “problem”. Other times that same irritation just flies by without any impact. It does feel that these things come in waves and the duration is directly related to my ability to be grateful for the lessons contained in each wave or in some cases tsunami. Of course my expectations are the root of all of these feelings as much as I want more than anything to point away (out there) at the culprits as opposed to looking at the mirror and adjusting accordingly.

Recently I’ve been experiencing a number of deep bums followed by periods of immense joy (directly related to "visitors"). The roller coaster is exhausting and with each peak and trough the feelings get stronger and contain way more G-Force than is really comfortable. I have family in the Ozarks who “have a touch of that BY-Polar” and sometimes I wonder if I too might be a bit “touched?”

I was reading in one of my professional journals this morning about a group that is now using Universal Design in their Sustainable Homes. We were doing this years ago , but now its “Headline Ready”; that and about a dozen other “headlines” of late are also bumming me out in a BIG way.

Some days it just sucks to be a dreamer a visionary.
Oh, don’t get me wrong, when you’re “hot” you ARE “HOT” and rewarded handsomely. But, in the interim you spend your days coming up with cutting edge solutions to problems folks don’t even know exist…………..yet , while trying to keep your family safe and yourself off the slippery slopes in whatever manner possible.  Sometimes these days turn to years and then a breather comes for a spell and then the waves begin again. I don’t think Dentists or CPAs experience this, but I could be wrong.

 So tonight I made a list of things I am grateful for to shift myself off the slopes, for today.

1.     Edy for being Edy, my love ( good with wireless routers too)

2.     5 year old visiting granddaughters (and grandsons too , though they are away )

3.     Laptop WITH wi-fi connection

4.     Air Conditioned home

5.     Today is almost over - (One Day at a time will get us through this one too)

No comments:

Post a Comment