Friday, June 22, 2012

Kabob-NOT


Kabob-NOT

I spent all day researching ownership information and key personnel contacts for some resorts in our region.  It was a lot of work.

Yesterday, Edy and I decided to visit some of the finer establishments on our list to see what they were all about and to experience each location first hand. It was an impulse move and very uncomfortable for me.
We dressed up and headed out and the first location and spent some time in the common areas “taking it in”. Classical décor, although dated and I did my quick check of the things that drive me nuts during a 1st impression walk through. Lighting missing trims, lamps out, mold at the diffusers, dirty diffusers/moldings, screws sticking out of moldings and scratched up paint everywhere……….. Other than that, it’s a pretty place and the ratings are well deserved.

We approached the desk and asked for the GM. “Do you have an appointment sir?” , “No, sorry this is an impulse visit and we just wanted to introduce ourselves”. Front Desk folks were stellar (as behooves the Brand) and quickly the GM’s Ex.Asst. arrived to see what the heck we were all about. We asked a few questions and I was ready to leave, thanking her for her time. As we walked down the hall another set of questions came to us and we returned, asked for her again and she was most kind and professional in her responses and informed us that “Corporate takes care of all of that”. Even still, I’m glad we went back.

The second property was a funky but successful place where we learned they were undergoing a major administrative shake up. Gotta love Front Desk folks. The 3rd stop was at a place we’ve been wanting to visit since we 1st arrived and aside from the metered parking was everything it’s PR said it would be. I did my “check list” and the only issues I had, were lighting related and minor. Again the front desk folks were awesome and we came away with contacts for another day as well as wanting to stay there soon.

So all day I sifted through my contacts and connected a few strings of who knows who and then reached out to see if one on one introductions could be made to decision makers. Tomorrow I start again with another list I developed from this one and will keep at it as long as it feels right.

We love this town but have noticed that the air quality leaves a lot to be desired. My eyes are burning and my throat and lungs feel like I just left a Honky Tonk. You know its bad when they tell you to stay indoors tomorrow. I could have told you that yesterday.

On my bike ride a couple of days ago I came across these lovely Oleanders. They are very beautiful yet deadly poisonous. When I was a kid, there would be a few folks a year dying from using their “perfect” stems” to skewer their hot dogs.   I’m not really clear why I needed to share that but file it as you will.

Edy and I went down to the pool late today after all of my stuff was completed and talked and read for a bit as the sun sank westward. I finished my book and just lay on my back kind of watching Edy read and then focused on the clouds with luminous sun-rays spilling out of them towards us. They radiated and shimmered and changed colors as their puffy filters dictated.       It all felt good, really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment