Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Mother of Invention


Mother of Invention

Yesterday was a roller coaster, so much so that I could not even finish the 1st draft of this blog.  Throughout the night I had dreams of days gone by and people and situations that no longer aligned with who I am today. In my dreams I shook my head as I passed them with their accusations, claims and assertions on my time and energy. I awoke feeling a bit slimed, but also felt charged after yesterdays church service. The church we attend has an out-reach arm that I felt one of our prior projects would align with. So, I reached-out and offered it to them.

Digging through the old files of drawings and correspondence felt more like a continuation of my dream from the previous night than an effort toward forward movement.  As I dug, I found myself taking BIG breaths every once in a while. So big in fact that they would shake me back into the present moment.  Thank you lungs!

Perhaps it’s the energetic void of a new grand-children free home or perhaps it’s the frustration of living in the best economy in the world and still not being able to get things to “pop” despite a ga-zillion current ideas I have floating in my head and 200x that amount stored in the archives from days like this in the past.   All I can say is the beaver dam is still holding and the pond behind it is rising daily.
I feel like I’m drowning.

Earlier in the month, I mentioned reading TEXAS by James Mitchner. It was a really good read and offered many useful pieces of history I enjoyed. One was the invention of barbed wire and its impact on the land, law, politics and the social fabric here and elsewhere.  What was once free range became a no fly zone and communal watering spots became “property”. It soon became a mess as miles and miles of open sky got compartmentalized and exclusive, (in the worst sense of the word).   Hundreds of folks were killed in disputes and it was the death-knell of the cattle drives on the old Chisholm Trail and others like it; cowboys would never be the same.

I started my career lifting hide-a-beds in a furniture store. I then moved on to display manager and then into the design studios of several firms. During these times I also had a furniture company, a construction company and a photography business on the side. When I could not get the quality I needed from my contractors I got my GC license and then formed my own Design/Build Firm. I then got more licenses and credentials so I’d never NOT be busy. When business slowed down in one area I got licensed in a dozen other states so I would always be busy………..and for the most part, busy I was. Happiness or better yet CONTENTMENT were never part of the equation and once this was realized things started shifting and have never been the same (thankfully). Sure economic downturns caused problems but nothing like this last “doozie”. Once we hit Houston we were certain that it would be nothing but blue skies and opportunities knocking our doors down.  Our initial entre’ was just that, but we’ve now sailed into the doldrums and hurricane season has begun.   

We use computers to draw everything now and during the 90’s as technology took over I worked really hard to be at the forefront of that curve and have stayed there to the best of my ability. Then came my experiences with green-wash and all things green and I committed myself to knowing all I could about that topic so that I became a leader in that field too. My mornings are spent staying current with relevant topics in all the industries that interest me and others I wish to know more about.  I do this because I want to be ready for the next opportunity that comes my way.

The rules of sailing in open water dictate that during downtimes to do maintenance and repairs. You can also take on projects that will not impede the voyage if you so choose. It’s also a good idea to catch up on sleep and replenish stores, if possible. I believe the same rules apply to farming and manufacturing. During previous lulls, I designed and developed a few thousand acres of LEED-ND properties, including at least a dozen unique net-zero homes, developed a software systems that monitors and controls energy consumption in buildings remotely as well as fun furniture and lighting designs that I hope to use somewhere…………someday. While on my bike, during yoga and to and from anywhere additional thoughts, ideas and designs pop into my head and I’m lucky if I remember half of them by the time I get back to a place where I can draw or write. The archives are overflowing.

Sometimes I think it would just be easier to “get a job” and sidestep all the stuff that comes from attempting to force fine design and sustainable values where it’s apparently not wanted. Each time I have this thought I step away quickly to stop the bleeding and remind myself where that thnking leads me.   Those barbs are sharper than they look.

No comments:

Post a Comment