Thursday, January 31, 2013

Three Part Harmony

                           Vision Quest Series                                    Spider Rock 09-09-09                          c-2009

Three Part Harmony

Well we finally ventured out together for more than a few hours today after a week of contending with a version of respiratory yuk that included rib breaking hacking, fevers and overall blah. The worst part of this particular version of illness was the low gas mileage. Edy had it far worse that I, but it was one of those maladies that was very tricky. “I feel SO much better” you’d tell yourself and then by the time you got to where ever it was you were going (the store or the bathroom) you would soon be moving solely off of fumes so that by the time you finally returned to bed you HAD to stay there because there was no gas to start the engines again for anything else. Ugh.

Of course in the good news-bad news lenses which I see things we are building up further immunities to other variations of yuk out there and we also get to be together a lot and read more too, so it all evens out as things tend to do in life. Harmony.

One of the books I recently read was by one of my favorite SW-USA airplane novelists. I actually found a hard cover volume in the display in our lobby and “checked it out”. It was a fast read as his adventures always are and his Navajo Police Characters “got their man” as I knew they would. I was reminded as I read the story about how enthralled I am with the different ways in which people pray, believe and my overall fascination with “sacred places” anywhere/anytime. Navajo have an especially lovely way of looking at things and dealing with life I find refreshing. Granted “back in the day” they were not all “mellow folks” they stole, raided, kidnapped and took their own form of coup but for the most part because of their location and size of their tribe they were more mellow than others.

Essentially they , the Hopi and most Puebloan cultures believe that any upsets are due to an imbalance of sorts, a dis-harmony with the natural balances and if it gets bad they call in a “sing” and gather all the people close to that person to sing, chant, feast and pray until harmony is restored. This goes along with sickness or a guy driving drunk into your pick-up. You don’t sue him, you call together a “sing” and pray that he is released from the alcoholism that has him acting in ways that are not in harmony with his true self. Anyway, that is the Cliff Note version I encourage more study on your own.

Another one of the books I “checked out” from our beautiful lobby display is one from Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn who I have been big fan of since High School. I love history and am always amazed at the depths of depravity and abuse humans can go to even in this day and age AND yet those being oppressed by “The Man” continually find ways to survive and thrive in the most abhorrent conditions for generations. The 3rd and 4th eyes developing with each generation to keep watch on who’s watchin who…..or is it whom ? I can never get that right. Anyway I have such huge respect for him and his ability to continue to write despite imprisonment, black listing, exile and constant arrest and harassment. A lesser man would have just gone off and made “shoes for industry-comrade” and left the “stories and truths” for others.

One leg of the excursion Edy and I braved today was to the Museum of Fine Arts to view an exhibition they have from the Prado in Madrid. It was breath taking! Every one of the finest examples of painting from the period was represented. I had forgotten too just how itinerant the painters of Europe were during the 15th and 16th century. “Going with the flow” …Being paid with gold from the cconquered Incas was A-OK with all the courtly painters as they flocked to get their piece of the New World Pie. They were prolific in their production. Quality improved as competition from afar came “right next door” and magnificence was de’riguer. Although our gas tanks were running low we took in the whole show and some of the permanent collections too as we are always amazed at the quality of the work right here in our own backyard.

We felt even more energy when we left and despite the “fumes” continued on to make a few more stops on the way home. I made us lunch when we got home and Edy went in to rest while I went downstairs to work a bit on my modeling projects and some orders for a client.

Slowly I can feel the gas tank getting filled as I remember each of the paintings we viewed this morning. I think that for us ART in all its forms is required for balance and harmony. It’s not a luxury but a necessity for daily living.  Note to self.

 


 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment