Sunday, October 21, 2012

Stairway to Heaven


Stairway to Heaven
 
Tomorrow is a special day.
Not only does Edy return from another visit to Taos with the kids, but it is also our Wedding Anniversary. A few dozen lifetimes wrapped into just half dozen years; awe-inspiring does not even begin to touch what we have.

So, six years ago today my son in-law and I went out for Mexican food and then watched an old war movie while I tried my best to sit still. I was “happy/nervous” as a young man I know used to say and so excited about the coming day. I joked with Edy earlier that we were embarking on something quite new for both of us and it was going to be”The Beginning of a Great Adventure”. Little did either of us know just how great or just how exciting! (“Little did we know” is a term we use often because it also part of a movie we love with Dustin Hoffman who… “ wrote a whole book on: “little did he know”….)

 “Universes colliding” was how we described our coming together. Forces bigger than us propelled us forward toward each other and resistance was futile on all fronts. Resistance remains futile to this day. Fusion IS a very powerful force.

We were married on a beautiful autumn day in Santa Fe in the Chapel of the Sisters of Lorreto. It’s a famous historic place now adjoining a nice hotel. The stairway was carved and built by a traveler who after completing it just “kept on truckin”…..It is a beautiful piece of work. Our minister was cool older gent who had done a million weddings and thankfully stayed awake during the entire ceremony. We hired a wonderful guitar player of regional fame and emense talent who unfortunately passed on to the other side a few months after our service. Kids and very young grandchildren were in attendance and everyone dressed up for the occasion. It was a magical day.

 At the appointed time, it began to snow lightly outside and Edy and her “ladies” made their way into the chapel with soft flakes in their hair. Edy was stunning in her cream dress and gloves, absolutely stunning. From the moment I saw her, the rest of the service gets a bit fuzzy. Vows, “I do’s”, kisses on the spiral stair, photos, signing the extra large bi-lingual marriage certificate and dinner in the “Hopi Room” of the adjoining Hotel.

We left early the following morning to visit a famous spa frequented by Hollywood stars. When we got to “the place” it was ...how do you say?…..”Underwhelming” and we passed on even trying it out. We headed west into “Indian territory” not the most PC word but true for we spent the next many, many days touring the beautiful lands of the Zuni, Acoma, Navajo, Hopi and other Puebloan cultures old and new.  The lands were gorgeous and the people super friendly but the dark energy of the places cast a veil over us for the entire trip.

One afternoon we illegally parked and hiked down and into the side of a multicolored sandstone mountain cave-ette and watched the sun set over the 3rd mesa of the Hopi. We held hands and talked about how many other new loves had been in this place gazing on such a sacred site as we were doing this night? Dozens, hundreds, thousands  over how many millennia ?......”Only the spider woman knows the answer to that one” we chuckled.  To this day I do not know “why” I was compelled to take my new bride on such a journey or adventure as it might better be described; an adventure that has not let up for even a day since it began. Hold on tight or put your hands up in the air it makes no difference; the ride is what it is and our tickets are definitely “punched”.

It’s no joke that all good things in my life today are because of Edy. Loving her is the reason my heart beats. “Home” is wherever Edy is; regardless of geography. Love follows her wherever we go. H, F,M  and the grandchildren fill me daily with such joy and to witness them come into their own places of maturity and power has been an honor, an absolute honor.

It has occurred to me over the past several months that I have married God’s personal spokesperson. “Little did I know” that when I kissed her on those stairs six years ago I would be ascending a stairway to heaven every day of my life from that day forward.

Happy Anniversary EML!!!  (Edy My Love)

 

 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment