Monday, December 14, 2015

Miss Me


Miss Me

“Missed me, missed me ,now ya gotta  kiss me”……
I think this is how the chant goes from my 2nd grade school yard days, though I’ve not thought of it til today.

During much of my professional life I was a commuter. Traveling daily, weekly and for longer periods chasing the lightning bugs of fame and fortune. Upon my return I’d offer “prizes” to the family in the forms of trinkets from foreign lands and tales of the big ol’ world. I was missed, I got kissed.......for a while.

In business I could give a hoot. I was a driven jerk. I did my job-you do yours and let’s move on to the next, then the next and the next…..

My Dad too was a commuter. I learned from him, added my own spin to individuate and then taught those around me “how to be” with a phantom. Truth is, I did not have to be sitting on a plane to be a commuter, it was my constant state of being. 
Here-There-Nowhere, right next to you.

God is masterful in his ways. One day the geographic commuting ceased and that family evaporated.  I happened to then be in a beautiful part of the world with a woman I loved beyond measure. She came to me with an openness and love that can only be described as divine.  She also brought with her the love of her children and later their children into the melting pot of “our village”. Despite all of this bliss, I was still a commuter at heart despite all my efforts to change.

The problem with being a dry-docked commuter is that new folks arriving into your sphere have not had the training to “know how to be” with a phantom. And worse yet, they have no desire to be taught. Ugh.  Years of solitude within a non-commuter family have taught me the real meaning of unconditional love. Our “Village” has allowed for my OH SO SLOW transformation away from a lone wolf into a member of the clan, with compassion.

Yes, today I would be missed, but more importantly this question has brought forth to me all the things I want to say and do with my love that has remained stashed away for over half a century.  Oh, Lord, please. Don't let me take any of it with me - help me to distribute it in buckets to my love Edy................the kids...........the babies. 

"Kiss Me , Kiss Me – You’ll never have to miss me”



    




No comments:

Post a Comment